So you want to play Music in your Business?

OK, do you know you need at least two types of licences to do that legally? First, you should have a ‘site or venue’ licence, now called TheMusicLicence, available from PRS for Music and PPL.

Second, you should also have a ‘MSB2B licence’, if you intend playing background music to the public in retail shops, commercial businesses, pubs, hotels and restaurants, from a portable device.

This licence allows for the creation of digital databases of audio only (playlists) to supply background music.

The Inside Track

PRS for Music and PPL, the UK’s two music collecting societies, have joined forces to set up PPL PRS Ltd, a joint venture combining the two societies’ public performance licensing activities.

PPL PRS Ltd launched the joint licence on 26 February 2018 and offers a single licence, called TheMusicLicence, on behalf of both PRS for Music and PPL, to play or perform music in public.

e-book-mockup-noshadowWould you like to find out more?

This blog content was taken from our recently launched eBook: The only guide you will ever need to Playing Music in your Business which you can download here;


Talk to one of our Music for Business experts?

Book a call with one of our music for business experts, at a time that suits you, here;


Get in Touch: